Tuesday, May 2, 2017

(Backup) Birth story

I went in for my 38 week appt during lunch break thinking it would be just another quick check-up. I hadn't been feeling very well the last 2 days. I was very lethargic and my leg swelling was no longer going down over night. Weston's heart beat was 110 so they hooked me up to the monitors and it came up to 120. I had protein in my urine sample, my blood pressure was running higher than usual, and throw the swelling in there leads to signs of preeclampsia. They did another urine sample to more accurately test for protein and it came back positive. OB was crazy busy that day so he sent me home for 3 hours and told me to rest and come back. I was to check into OB where they would do more testing for preeclampsia and possibly be induced. So I went home and finished packing our bags and waited on Brian to come get me. When we got to the hospital they drew labs, hooked me up to the monitor, and started an IV (they blew 3 veins before they were successful). My blood pressure came down shortly after getting there. Dr. McCall came and reported that I was pretty anemic which may explain some of the heart rate drops. I was actually in natural labor and we wouldn't have to induce! I was getting closer to a 5 and a little more effaced. Baby is still a little high at minus 2 station. But he said my water is starting to bulge. My contractions were every 5 minutes and I was feeling them. He wasn't going to do anything to speed it up at the time due to how busy the floor is in the other rooms. He told me he was going to come back in 2-3 hours and break my water if it hasn't already. He thought we would have a baby by late tonight or early morning!(5:00p.m.)He came back at 8:30 and broke my water. Said I was a 6 but stretch to a 7 and 90% effaced. He told us he thought I was going to go quick. At 10:00 I was still at a 7. After waiting 2 or 2.5 hours I finally received the epidural a little after midnight. Which was awful!!! It took her 3 tries. Mean while I'm sitting Indian style and having major contractions while she asks me if she's to the right or left of my spine. At 1:15 I was still a 7 so we started pitocin to get my contractions closer together and pick up. The nurse had me lay on my side with an exercise ball between my legs to try and optimize his position in my pelvis. At 2:15 I told the nurse I felt pressure. She checked me and sure enough I was at 10 cm. They called the Dr and I started pushing 2:30. I

pushed for 2 contractions and he was out at 2:47 (4/19)! So much better than pushing for 3 hours. He weighed 8.03 pounds and was 20 inches long. Pure perfection. Since he came out so fast he didn't get the squeeze he needed to rid fluids and also they think he took in some amniotic fluid. This caused him to grunt with every breath. So the nurse was in and out constantly and they did a chest x-ray to make certain his lungs were okay. I was so worried about him that I could not sleep. Plus the nurse was putting him on me then he would get bad and she would put him in the warmer. Just back and forth. He would try to spit up but would not successfully spit it out so you had to suction it out for him. Eventually by 7 or so he stopped doing this. Dr. McCall came in later that morning and explained that he thought my symptoms were the start of something going wrong and we were both so glad that I went into natural labor before anything happened. We had to stay 2 nights in the hospital. Kenton stayed with Gina. That was his first time to not sleep in our house, let alone be away from us as well. She brought him to the hospital that day after Julia's. He was not so sure about Weston at first, but eventually warmed up to him. He was more excited about the big brother present he received. I was so so sad watching him leave after the visit. 


Fast forward 

Weston got a good report at his 2 day checkup. Passed his jaundice test (even though they did it twice since he looked yellow). He had lost the expected 10% of his body weight being 7.8 pounds. Over the weekend his latch while breastfeeding because so painful, he was making me bleed. He even spit up pink or red. Of course the lactation consultant was not in on Monday so we saw her on Tuesday. Little did I know he had an upper lip tie and a posterior tongue tie that was affecting the way he latched. After some serious effort we are going to a pediatric dentist to have his ties fixed by a laser procedure tomorrow morning 5/3. He has been a great baby so far. He will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. He sleeps mostly all day with 2 or 3 one hour wake periods. He nurses every 3 hours. He sleeps three hour stretches through the night as well. Kenton has done great with him, although he doesn't see him too often since he mostly sleeps so far. He loves to hold him, but does not like being told to be quiet while the baby sleeps. We go in for another weight check in 3 days. I am hoping that he is back up to his birth weight at least, and the ties have not affected this. For now we are adjusting well as a family of four and I am finally learning how to juggle my time between boys. I felt so guilty the first week I could not give Kenton my full attention and he was going to others houses to be entertained. 


Easter 37w 5d

 

38weeks. Before I went to the hospital 

Getting through contractions 
 
 
  
 
   
Kenton vs. Weston comparisons 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment